Thursday, May 30, 2019

A Hit and Three Misses

Time for another #throwbackthursday - Crafts Edition.

Not all the crafts I try are successful. This week's post highlights three crafts I made in 2004 that didn't quite hit the mark ... and one that was a home run.


String-Pieced Potholders

Miss No. 1
One of the ladies from the quilt group I used to belong to taught me how to make potholders from scraps of fabric, old baby blankets from a thrift store for batting, and bias binding.

They came out OK, not great. Weird colors. I didn't quite get the knack of binding down. When using them, they were somewhat thin and didn't quite keep the heat away from my hands as much as I liked.




Autumn Wreaths

Miss No. 2
Straw wreaths in two sizes. Fall leaf garlands from Dollar Tree. Wrap, wrap, wrap. Add a wire bow. Decorate the porch.



The wreaths came out OK. I've used them for years. I've also rebuilt them at least twice. The more often I rebuild them, the better the outcome.




Pine Needle Basket

Miss No. 3
I took a Parks and Rec class around the year 2000 to learn to make pine needle baskets. I started a basket, but never finished it. I even bought a gorgeous book on how to make these baskets. With all the pine trees we have in our yard, we could make enough baskets to fill a swimming pool. So I gave it a try again.



Uh. No. No, no, no, no, no. Obviously, I didn't use quite the proper string to do the tying. The rafia I tried first shredded as I sewed. The neon string I used is ... gaudy and ugly. I could never quite get into the rhythm of adding some needles, and sewing, and adding some needles and ... you get the picture. I gave it a good try, though.


Candy Cane Felt Stocking Ornaments

The Big Win
Using the same idea as the mitten ornaments I made in 1998, I whipped up 33 of these ornaments. All of the materials came from my stash. I particularly like the candy canes made out of an old holey t-shirt.



The details of the lace cuff, and the plaid bow with a button center delight me. We still hang a couple of these stockings on our Christmas tree each year.











No comments: