Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Fireside Wreath

It feels like getting things done around here takes longer than expected. The unpacking and finding places for our belongings continues apace. I wish I could go at a faster pace! I'm missing the creative aspects of my life ... making new things! Yesterday Dale suggested that I take a beat and allow myself time to get my creative juices going.

I guess I needed "permission." Not from Dale. From me!

So in the evening while Dale was at a work dinner, I played in my Studio a little. For Christmas, we're moving from a red and green color scheme to a blue and silver color scheme. So I used materials I had on hand to convert decorations I previously made into ones better suited to our new home.

Last year a took a sparkly wreath from Dollar Tree, added a red and green plaid bow made from this delightful wired ribbon and knotted with a piece of velvet. It was a simple and festive piece. Dale and I both really liked it.



To make the wreath fit the new color scheme, I changed out the bow. Replacing the bow was more of an ordeal than you'd think. I had some gorgeous sheer blue ribbon with silver snowflakes. But once I put it on the wreath, the bow "disappeared."

I tried a second time, doubling up the sheer ribbon with a silver ombre satin ribbon. That didn't work either.

Finally, I backed the original ribbon with some blue felt. I auditioned a few shades of blue until I found one that allowed the ribbon to sing. Combining the ribbon with the felt was tricky because most adhesives I tried showed through the sheer ribbon. I would have sewn them together, but my sewing machines are not set up yet. Finally, I decided to use double-stick tape only behind the silver snowflakes. The snowflakes covered the adhesive so it didn't show through very much.



I added a hook to the mantle and hung the wreath over the fireplace. Now the bow stands out and adds just the right sparkle.


No comments: