Thursday, December 5, 2019

Turkey Soup

OK, so this isn't one of the more interesting posts I've ever written. I'm taking note for the sole reason that I'm proud of myself. Today I cooked some soup from scratch. It's the first meal I've made in this kitchen.

Dale and I were inspired by our local Albertson's. They have $5.00 meals in their deli. We've been eating a fair amount of them. But in among the prepared foods was some cooked and pieced turkey. We bought a tub along with a carrot, celery, onion, potato, and a bag of frozen veggies.

I started by pulling out the big soup pot, then dicing the veggies and meat. I softened the carrots, celery, and onion in peanut oil since it's the only oil in the house right now.



Then I added the diced potato in its water. After a half hour or so, in went the turkey and veggies.



Check this out. Our stove glows purple when the heat is on! Weird.



I still don't have staples in my cupboards. I had salt, pepper, and Emeril's Essence. Those are the only spices I brought to Oregon, so I used them all. The broth looked a little thin, so I made a roux from butter and flour to help thicken it.

For as simple a "recipe" as this was, it came out fairly tasty. A little bland, but some extra salt and pepper helped.



Mostly I'm proud of myself for my start in cooking here. Cooking is not one of my favorite activities, so that I was inspired by a few ingredients in the grocery store and followed through by completing the dish allows me to pat myself on the back.

No comments: