Friday, December 20, 2019

Turkey in the ...

Well, this happened today



Earlier in the week, Dale and I got a new refrigerator installed. It's stainless steel and pretty and doesn't have the weird odor like the one that came with the house. It's bright and shiny and the fridge works great.

Not so much the freezer. Sigh.

Jodie and Ken gave us a spare frozen turkey they received for free around Thanksgiving. It's been in the freezer, awaiting a proper celebration point to defrost it and cook it. Unfortunately, because the freezer isn't working, our turkey started to thaw.

I popped in a meat thermometer and found that it was still at a safe temperature -- if I cooked it right away. So that's what took up a lot of my day today.



Over the last several years, daughter Julie has been the main turkey cook at Thanksgiving, so I haven't prepped a bird in a while. Our new cupboards don't have all the spices that we had in Post Falls, so I had to make it up as I went along and use what was on hand.



The ovens, though, weren't cleaned before we moved in. So I removed some shelves from the double ovens when I put the turkey in. I gave the three shelves a good scrubbing and they're much better. One was so gross. It looked like a bbq grill with dried meat sticking to it. I don't know what it actually was, but it's gone now. I'll clean the main part of the oven before too long.



The turkey looked good as it came out of the oven. Dale carved it up and it tastes good, too.

After the turkey and oven shelf ordeal, I made eight dozen triple toll house cookies. They taste good too.

Let's just say that these days, I'm not used to being on my feet in the kitchen all that much. I'm pooped tonight.



I hope Jodie has a little extra room in her freezer to help us out. She's welcome to as much turkey as she wants, but I'm sure there will be much more to freeze and use later.

Sigh.

I want my freezer to work. We can't get it fixed until the day after Christmas. Happy holidays to us.

(maybe)

Oh. And this morning the offer on our Post Falls home fell through, so we're back to the drawing board to get it prepped to sell.

We're just rollin' with the punches here, folks!

No comments: