Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Out and About

Due to dealing with a respiratory virus for three weeks, then very low energy from seasonal depressive disorder (SAD usually hits me in Jan/Feb), I've holed myself up in the house for much of the new year. Thus, all the jigsaw puzzle building. When I did go out, it was usually with Dale or with Jodie, rather than on my own. That's beginning to change.

Last weekend, Dale and I explored the Science Center here in Eugene. We saw two shows in the observatory, and played with most of the hand-on displays in the museum.

Projected on the dome of the observatory


Today I did some exploring on my own.

First I went to Barnes & Noble to meet up with a gal who sold me some vintage post cards. I bought them for Jodie, who has a collection. The messages and the card backs have us believe they cover a number of decades and were all written to the same couple. I look forward to hearing more about the couple as Jodie pours over the cards.

Next, I went to my new doctor's office w-a-y on the east side of our 'metropolis.' I signed a form to get my medical records transferred. Now I'm set up to have my first appointment next week.

Since I was out in that part of town, and it was close to lunchtime, I checked to see if Jodie could join me for lunch. She could! We went to a small local diner, the Busy Bee Cafe. All the locals know about it. In 2019, the cafe won the Spirit of Springfield Small Business Award. It's a great little old mom & pop shop with good food and, you could tell by the conversations, regular customers. I had a BLT and some sweet potato fries. Yummy! Jodie tried a ham and cheese melt sandwich which she enjoyed. Even the iced tea was tasty.

After I dropped Jodie at work, I found my way back to the west side of town and visited one of the larger Dollar Tree locations in the area. I got a good "fix." I have an idea for Valentine's Day for our grandkids, and got some supplies while I was there.

This afternoon, I headed out to Junction City. It's a few miles north of here. I found a lamp on Facebook Marketplace that Jodie likes for her craft room. It's a beauty.



I'm hoping to have more of these go-it-alone jaunts in the near future. I want to get to know the area better - as the driver, not only the passenger. It's one way I plan to "settle" in 2020.





No comments: