Thursday, January 30, 2020

Throwback Thursday - 2006 Part 5

I'm back to sharing some of my older stitching and crafting projects. Those I'm sharing today were completed in May 2006. As part of my 20 Goals in 2020, I hope to post all the projects from 2006 through 2008.

2006 was my Year of the Ornament, and I made quite a number of them. But this first piece is larger.




George the Giraffe

This is a kit by The Bold Sheep out of Great Britain. I was able to purchase the kit via eBay. The finished size of the stitching is about 4" x 6".

This happy dancer just makes me laugh. The colors feel like Spring to me, so I stitched him up as soon as he arrived in my mailbox.

The stitching is done, but I've still not done the finishing -- all these years later. I bought some coordinating fabric years ago to finish George as an easel or flat fold. Now I'm not so sure I want to finish him that way. He may become another journal cover because I use journals all the time, and I no longer have a designated place to display my many stitched giraffes.




French Horn Angel

This ornament was stitched for the mother of one of my online friends. Mum's health was failing at the time. Mum loved angels and had images of them all over the house. My stitching group decided to stitch up some angel ornaments for her to hang on her 25 foot tall Christmas tree. They'd need a lot of angel ornaments and we wanted to fill it up! Because Mum loved the color purple and music, I put those two ideas together to stitch up an angel playing an instrument, stitched on a light purple fabric.

The design was found in a Celebrations to Cross Stitch and Craft magazine from Christmas 1992. The designer is Lorraine Birmingham.

I finished the ornament in a mini tuck fabric frame. Then I decided to sew the stitching in place for security.



  
Fish Birthday Card

This was a quick stitch for my employer's birthday. My boss appeared reluctant to say much about her birthday, so I didn't want to overdo a gift. Her family room was decorated in a fish theme, so I decided to stitch a quick little fish and turn it into a birthday card.

Inside the card says, "Hoping you have a Swimmingly Good Birthday!" Clever, eh?

The design is called Baby's First Book — Motif 7 by designer Ellen Mauer-Stroh.




Pray for Snow and Holiday Decorator

In the Spring of 2006, I joined a group of stitchers that makes ornaments, bookmarks and quilt squares for charity. One of the stitched quilt block themes was of "angel snowmen." I was sent the two patterns and the blue aida cross-stitch fabric. This way all the blocks for the quilt would be uniform and fit together as intended.



The quilt squares stitched up quickly and were fun to do. The completed quilt was donated to a child facing a serious illness or to a senior in a care facility. 



These designs were found in Angelic Snowmen a publication by American School of Needlework. They're designed by Marilyn Frable.


It's quite enjoyable for me to look back on these old projects. There are so many that I'd forgotten about. It sure does make me itch to get my needles, floss, and patterns out again. Maybe I'll do that -- once my jigsaw puzzle itch has been thoroughly scratched.



No comments: