Thursday, March 26, 2020

Throwback Thursday - 2006 Part 12

This week the Wayback Machine takes us to October, 2006. That month I did more crocheting than cross-stitch or crafting.




Baby Afghan

I stitched this baby afghan for my niece's child who was due at the end of the month. I had this lovely Red Heart yarn and Leisure Arts pattern in my stash, so decided it was time to use it.

The yarn is really pretty and soft, a sport weight yarn. The yarn is primarily white, with soft bits of pink, green, yellow and blue in it. It's the first time I ever crocheted with this lighter weight yarn and it took me a while to get the tension correct. Once I got that figured out, the afghan took shape quickly.


The stitch is a double crochet / single crochet repeat. One stitch goes in the front loop, the next stitch goes in the back loop. So the completed pattern gives this interesting 3-D, twisted appearance that you can see in the stitch detail.

The pattern called for a very open, lacy edge. I thought it looked like the baby could get his foot caught in it, so I chose to do something different. I concocted a variation on a scalloped edge and was quite pleased with the outcome.


The pattern is called Lacy Edge from Crocheted Afghans for Baby Book Two by Leisure Arts.

This "baby" is a strapping young man now. Wow, how times changes things!


Home

This is the fifth of twelve ornaments in the 12 Blessings of Christmas set by Lizzie*Kate. I changed the house color to match my own home and added some backstitching for the white trim.

I love the way the reindeer charm looks like it's ready to fly off the roof.




God is Love

This is another quilt square that I stitched for a charity quilt for the Love Quilts organization.

One of the gals in my charity group became overextended and needed some help with the squares she had signed up to do. I had some free time, so offered to stitch the pattern that she picked out.

On these particular quilts, all the squares will be Precious Moments charts. The boy charts were stitched on blue fabric, the girl charts were stitched on peach fabric. The biggest challenge of stitching this chart was not having seen an image of the finished piece before stitching the chart. So it was very interesting seeing the colors unfold as I stitched it. The details of the piece came out when I added the backstitching. Before that, I was really scratching my head trying to figure out the complete picture.

It's great to see these charity quilts come together. But the best part is knowing that they are offered to give a bit of warmth and love to a family in crises.




#throwbackthursday

No comments: