Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Eugene Park Tour: Wendover Park

As of today, I've completed one of my 2022 goals: I've visited 22 of Eugene's Parks and Natural Areas. Go me!

I'm still processing photos, though, so haven't shared all of the parks that I've seen. They'll show up over the next days and weeks. For today, I've got a few photos from Wendover Park.


Wendover is a park in the making. For now, it's undeveloped land which will become a neighborhood park. It includes a natural area along the East Santa Clara Waterway. For now, this is obviously used as a great place to walk dogs.


Jeanne and I stopped at this spot while on a geocaching outing. We hoped to find the "Wendover Cache." We found the general area, and the marker that was a clue to the cache's location. Unfortunately, we didn't find the cache. The spot was fairly overgrown with summer undergrowth, which around here includes lots of pokey blackberry brambles. I wasn't all that interested in getting scratched up that day, and the temperature was climbing into the mid-90s, so we didn't search for long. The cache owner says it's there, so maybe we'll return.

To find the cache, we followed this shady trail through the woods.


While searching, we kept hearing an interesting honking sound. We walked further down the path and found an opening that looked over the waterway. We spotted some ducks, but not the source of the unusual sound.


It's a nice area. I think I'll return this Fall with Dale. I think he'll enjoy walking in the woods here.


No comments: