Monday, August 22, 2022

Pumpkins!

A little over a month ago, Dale and I built a very humble spot to grow some mini pumpkins. It was an extremely late start to grow pumpkins from seed. But what the heck. Why not try.

I've been watering them nearly every day, and the plants are growing nicely. Even if we don't get any pumpkins, we have some pretty green leaves to look at.


But this morning, hiding under a huge leaf, I found a full blooming flower and quite a number of other buds. Perhaps we'll have a nice October surprise after all.


I'm so delighted!

The sunflower seeds I planted indoors have been doing well, too. Every single one of them sprouted. Today I planted them in our back yard. The poor things might not have much of a chance. The ground there is mostly rocks and bark. But I filled the holes with soil and gave them a good shower. Maybe I'll take a photo of all the little stems lined up in a row along the fenceline. 

Now mind you, all over town I'm seeing towering sunflowers peeking over fences. 

The sunflower variety I planted are supposed to get about four feet tall. They're about one foot tall right now. If all we get are stems with leaves, but no flowers, I'm OK with that. It's 100% more than I tried to grow last year. 

I'm used to taking baby steps.


No comments: