Monday, September 4, 2023

New Season, Renewed Goals

Today marks the (unofficial) end of Summer 2023. The last day of the "Summer of P."

Today? Purple:  Glory - Lit from Within


I nearly tripped over this vibrant purple morning glory while on today's walk. Vines from the morning glory seeds I planted this summer are beginning to grow up the new trellises. It will be a while before we get any flowers. I'm looking forward to watching them bloom.


It's been a successful summer for this thought experiment: 

  • Patio: our biggest change. We put up an awning, added a rug beneath it, and found a couple outdoor lounges. We rest in Adirondack chairs every morning while watching the five whirligigs shaped like hot air balloons spin. We've added a lovely hanging crystal (a gift from Jodie) that spreads rainbows throughout the back yard as the sun sets. We bought the trellises and planted the seeds. I started a strawberry garden and we got about a dozen berries this year! We have a series of planters that have added architectural detail and are awaiting some plants to go in them. We're about to install some steps at the gate. Adjacent to the patio, we got new trim on all the windows of the house, new rain gutters, and installed a new roof! 

  • Parks: I visited six local parks since June. 

  • Picnics: We had one!

  • Past: We never made it to a museum. Instead, I revised my goal and shared many of my favorite photos from the past. I've been busy with my huge photo organization project, so I was reminded of lots of joyful moments from our past.

  • Purple: It's interesting how much of this color I noticed when I purposely became attuned to it. Of course for me, it was mostly in flowers. There's so much beauty to give attention to -- especially close up.


"September is the new January," a phrase meaning there are new beginnings as the seasons change, a new school year begins, new goals and aims can be set. For me, I'll put renewed energy into my 23 in 2023 goals:
  • Visit more parks. With one more park visit, I'll have visited 23 for the year.

  • Put continued effort into my photo organization project. But I'll also pick up more of my books written by expert photographers and learn about their history and techniques.

  • Paint some rocks.

  • Update our Will and Trust

  • Complete three more projects that have been languishing for years. That will bring me to my goal of 12 for the year. (Wouldn't it be something if I could complete a total of 23 languishing craft projects instead? But that goal may be a step too far).

  • More geocaching!!!

  • Spend more time with my friend Karen.

I better stop now. I'm wearing myself out simply thinking about this many goals. For me, it's a comfort to have them enumerated.

No comments: