Saturday, September 23, 2023

Thankful Owls - Part 5 Fini!

Lookie what I finished this afternoon!


After I finished adding borders to the stitchery, I had to decide how I wanted to get it ready for display. 

A Flat finish like other cross-stitch I've done recently? They're quick to do and store easily. But the stitching-with-fabric-border is fairly large - 12 inches by 13 inches.

Framed? I found a really pretty reddish/brown square frame in my stash that looked great. Unfortunately the lip wasn't deep enough to hold the stitchery. It was only deep enough for a photo.

How about a pillow? It's not as easy to store. I didn't have a pillow form on hand. It takes some considerable thought and it meant dusting off my sewing skills.

After petting my stash for a while and considering my many options, I went ahead with the pillow idea.


I like the way these two fabrics work together and complement the colors of the stitchery. I made a one-inch border with the swirly fabric and a three inch border with the pumpkins.

For the back, I used more of the swirly fabric. Superb.


Check this out. I remembered how to sew in a zipper (without looking at instructions)! I had the brown 9-inch zipper in my sewing stash.

It's stuffed with polyester fiberfill I have on hand. 


I suppose I can take out the fluff and fold the pillowcase flat for storage.

I'm so pleased my sewing corner is set up now. It makes constructing a project like this inviting because the machines are always ready and calling my name.

No comments: