Thursday, February 8, 2018

Throwback Thursday 1995 - Part 1

These are half of the designs I stitched in 1995.

This little puppy in a basket was stitched for my middle daughter, Julie, who is a dog-lover. I stitched it as a framed piece - I found the frame at a thrift store. I think the way the puppy's eyes cry for attention made me pick this one up. This stitchery recently came back to me since Julie no longer displayed it, so I have it propped up in my studio until I can find it a new home

a

I stitched this fluffy white cat for my daughter Jeanne. This was my first attempt at using an eavenweave fabric, Lugana. Once I figured out how to start stitching by the vertical thread, and realized that the holes you stitch in are slightly larger than the holes you skip, I quickly fell in love with the fabric. But, being my first piece on an evenweave, I sort of got "lost" in the fur by the cat's ear, so if she looks real close, she'll notice I'm off by one thread!


I stitched this bookmark for Jeanne to commemorate a special celebration at church. It's one of the first charts that I designed myself. It spells out "Peacemaker." Lookie there ... I've been a heart lover for a long time.


Julie also had a special celebration at church that year. I made this bookmark to commemorate her First Communion. This was one of the first times I used a metallic thread.


1995 was the year of the Oklahoma City Bombing. A group of stitchers and quilters got together online to create a huge quilt that was presented to the people of the town. The quilt was actually a world-wide effort. Participants were asked to stitch a square on a specific size block with a neutral-colored background. The chart I chose was from The Cross Stitcher magazine. What's that you say? Another heart?


I finally got around to stitching something for myself that year. This came from a kit, and is stitched on Fiddler's Cloth which is a fabric with a rough texture with bits in it that look like little twigs. It's the first bell pull I stitched. The kit came with the dowels and hanging hardware. I made the tassel from the leftover floss. I still display this in my home.









No comments: