Thursday, February 15, 2018

Throwback Thursday 1995 - Part 2

Gosh, these photos are rough! I'll share them anyway.

In August of 1995, I stitched this wedding anniversary sampler for my sister Eleanore and her husband Jerry. The chart was from Stoney Creek. I framed with with a piece of silver mat board under the linen. When the light hits it just right, some of the silver shines through.


In 1995, I was working for America Online (AOL) as a chatroom host for chats about counted cross-stitch. There got to be a regular group of stitchers that would show up and we got to know each other fairly well. One of the chatters and I had a running joke about skunks, so I stitched her a little one. This was done using perforated paper at the ground cloth.


Another of the regular chatters went by the moniker of Dragonfyr. We followed her through months of her pregnancy and were all excited when her baby arrived. I stitched this refrigerator magnet to mark the event.


Again through AOL, I took part in a secret sister circle. Much like a Secret Santa exchange, we stitched gifts with one another. My secret sister had a country-style aesthetic, so I made this small wall-hanging for her. The finishing technique is something I made up ... and was rather proud of it at the time. The chart was a freebie from J&P Coats. The finished piece was about 12 inches tall.


This next piece was for another Secret Sister. It's a Christmas ornament based on a Precious Moments figurine. The little gal is doing embroidery.


Then I stitched my family's Christmas ornaments. It's become quite the tradition. I still make ornaments for my family every year.


Then on New Year's Eve, I completed this Serenity Prayer for my mom. This was probably one of the most complicated charts I'd stitched to date. Mom was worth it.

There are lots of designs for this prayer available in counted cross-stitch, but I've never seen another as pretty as this one by Cross My Heart. I love it because it is evocative of where we live in north Idaho. I so love the evergreens and the way it looks like some fade into the background through fog.


Here's a recent photo of it.

No comments: