Thursday, June 20, 2019

Throwback Thursday - 2005 Part 2

In 2005 I decided to start stitching up several of the giraffe charts I'd collected. The Wayback Machine is taking me to February 2005 to take another look at these four projects:


Baby Hugs: Cute Giraffe

This is the second of the giraffes I stitched in 2005. I chose this kit because of the bright colors. This cute little guy is stitched on perforated plastic.

I wanted to try a different finishing technique on this piece. After the stitching was complete, I first cut the perforated plastic to size. Then instead of gluing a backing on, I stitched a piece of black felt to the completed stitchery by outlining the entire giraffe with a backstitch through both the plastic and the felt.

Then I trimmed the felt with pinking shears. I used some sparkly gold ribbon as a hanger, stitching it to the felt backing. Then I added the bow. This way I was able to add black and gold to the piece so it blends with the other giraffes in my herd.




I Simply Love You

This is the Valentine I made for my husband in 2005.

I wanted to try a collage effect. I incorporated parchment card stock, colored pencil, ribbon, paper cutouts and a fancy craft scissor edge on the front.



On the inside, I changed the color scheme of this Twisted Threads mini design from those on the chart. I stitched this pattern on an 18ct parchment-colored aida with two strands of Gentle Art Sampler Thread (from their Simply Shaker line). Then I layered the stitching with my own handmade paper, and picot-edged satin ribbon.



I must say, my card-making skills have improved over time!



Blue on Blue Bookmark 

This design is also known as Assisi Bookmark #4 by Dunmani Designs. I stitched this one for another member of my quilt group for a birthday gift.

The original pattern had four motifs. But I was using up a scrap of blue lugana that was *just* large enough for three motifs. I also miscounted when I stitched the first square so had to compensate for my error by adding a second vertical row through the center of each motif.

I used some overdyed floss from my stash for the two main shades of blue and some DMC 823 for the navy backstitching.






Margaret T's Bookmark

This is from Dunmani Designs, Bookmark Pattern #7. It's stitched on 18ct Ribband, so ended up being a short little thing.







No comments: