Thursday, February 20, 2020

Throwback Thursday - 2006 Part 7

This week we travel back to June, 2006. It's still The Year of the Ornament, but I stitched only one that month.




Sunflower at my Window

One of the stitching groups I was part of decided to participate in an outreach project. We created bookmarks that were donated to St. Jude's Children's Hospital.

I picked this chart by Handblessings (Eileen Gurak Needlework Design) from my stash. I'd received it as a freebie with a stash shipment. The design is charted for Weeks Dye Works threads on Nordic Blue Jobelan. Instead, I chose to use up bits and pieces of things I had on hand -- some bright DMC colors and a scrap of Fiddler's Cloth. I backed the bookmark with a remnant of autumnal fabric from my stash.




Skater Penguin

This perky little guy is the final piece I needed to pre-stitch for the Denver finishing class.

I don't have any designer information about this pattern. His silver skates and bright beaded eye are adorable. What a handsome chap!



In the class, he was finished as a "tall triangle." Much like the box I showed last week, the base of a tall triangle is composed of foam board, sturdy cardboard, or tag board. The base is covered in batting, the fabric, and the stitchery. Then they are glued or sewn together. The rough edges are covered in cording, and decorations are added.



Goofy

One of the gals in the Cross Stitch for Charity group got a bit behind in her stitching and asked for help with a couple quilt squares that she'd promised to stitch. Since I was between projects and could hit the deadline, I offered to stitch this block for her. She donated the chart and fabric; I donated my time and talent.

The finished Disney quilt was to be gifted to a sick child named Jennifer. It feels darn good to stitch for others ... especially when it is appreciated not only by the child, but by a fellow stitcher I was able to help out.




Frosty Friend

I found this design by Forever in my Heart online. It was charted in black and white and appeared to be a good choice to make into an ornament. The charity group I took part in had a gal that volunteered to turn our stitching into completed ornaments. While doing the finishing work, she'd insert a chip that played a Christmas tune. Squeeze the ornament for an extra surprise.

There are some stitched projects I've made that just never worked. This is one that embarrasses me. The problems usually arise from bad color combinations, inappropriate ground fabric, or a poor floss choice. I definitely got the background color wrong here; the floss choice is questionable, too. This poor lackluster thing simply lacks pizzazz.

You stitch, you learn.




And on that sad, sorry note, I'm done with June! In July 2006, I stitched five pieces and plan to share them on the next #throwbackthursday.


No comments: