Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Valentine Countdown Bags

When visiting my daughter Julie in December, she showed us the advent calendar her family used in preparation for Christmas. Melody got a big kick out of it. So I planned to do something similar for Valentine's day for our granddaughters.



Unfortunately, I was sick for much of January, and didn't get a firm plan together until it was the end of the month. Determined, I went shopping for some small goodies for Melody and Annie. Then I grabbed what paper bags I had ... ice cream bags.



With the idea in my head that "done is better than good," I set to work. First, I used some lilac-colored paper to cover the printing on the front of the bag. (Mostly cover it. But the imperfections had to stay). I used a tape runner with double-stick tape to adhere the layers.



Then I ruffled through my sticker stash and my heart stash for the decorations. Before I got sick, my idea was to use all kinds of techniques and supplies to create unique bags. But time was short, so I simplified my ideas and used only stickers. Luckily, I have lots of fun stickers!



Each bag is unique, though several use the same elements. First, I used some numeral stickers to put the "date" in the bottom right-hand corner of each bag. I eyeballed it, so again, I checked my perfectionism at the door and left cockeyed numbers at their goofy angles. The kids wouldn't even notice. 



Those giant stickers on days 1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, and 13 are actually wall decals. Lots of the stickers are 3-D. Some, like the huge one on Day 6, have glitter. The dainty flowers on Day 2 are vellum. The big heart on Day 11 is actually a mirrored sticker, which was marketed as a wall decoration.



Dale was able to drop the bags off in Moscow on February 2, on his way to a work week in Spokane. The girls ... well, Melody ... has been having a blast opening the bags. I marked each gift with an 'M' or an 'A' so that Melody would know which are hers and which are Annie's. Melody understands as a two year old ... which is mine are mine, but I get to play with yours, too.



Julie's been sending me photos of the girls getting their gifts. Melody has all kinds of fun things like goofy glasses, coins for her bank, Play-Doh, Silly String, a notebook with its own pen, etc. Annie mostly receives board books and Goldfish crackers. I so love receiving the photos from Julie and Skyping with Melody as she opens her bags! What a fun idea with really positive results.



Bags 1 and 14 even have a little something for Julie.









No comments: