Thursday, February 27, 2020

Throwback Thursday - 2006 Part 8


This week we travel back to July, 2006. I finished five small projects that month.





.
First Christmas

I stitched this ornament/door knocker for my oldest niece. She was expecting a baby at the end of October. I wanted to make a little something special for her.

The design by Lizzie*Kate was charted for some specialty threads. Since I didn't have them on hand, I chose my own colors. I also used beads instead of making the red scatter stitches. When I did the finishing work, I added an extra layer of batting on the front of the ornament to give the ornament some poof. The cording is from a spool I had in my Christmas stash and is finished as a tassel on the bottom of the heart.




Quilter Bear

I stitched this design as another quilt square for an elderly woman named Doris. The entire quilt was composed blocks stitched with these "Bears with Personality." The bear designs are by Lynn Busa for Leisure Arts.




Peace

My sister who lives in Hawaii is a peace activist. I've long admired her spunk. I made this for her 2006 birthday, finishing it as an easel/flat fold. The design is by Cecilia Turner for Heart in Hand.



Adonis Blue Butterfly

This butterfly was for another charity quilt. The entire quilt was made of butterfly squares and stitched for an ill 12 year old girl named Maryah.

The design is from a book called Butterfly Charted Designs from the Archives of the Lindberg Press.

I completely miscounted the stitch count when I decided to make this butterfly. I thought it was twice as big as it is! So to help fill up the quilt square a bit more, I added a border of my own design, using some of the same colors in the butterfly. I like the way it turned out!




Suede Bookmark

One of my stitching friends told me about a bookmark kit she purchased. The bookmark was made of leather or suede with a spot where you put a piece of stitchery. I loved the idea and thought I might be able to replicate it.

I bought a piece of suede from a local fabric store. They had a wide variety of colors in fabric that's 55 or 60 inches wide. I bought just six inches. (I can make a lot of bookmarks!) The mouse design by Ghirigori was an online freebie chart.

I like this finishing technique quite a bit. Later, I used the same technique using craft felt instead of leather. It also turned out well and is a much less expensive alternative. This bookmark was donated to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and given to one of the sick children there.




In August 2006 I stitched two ornaments, two bookmarks, and a quilt square. I intend to share them on the next #throwbackthursday.


No comments: