Thursday, March 25, 2021

More Magnolias

I made it out to Ruff Park, the magnolia arboretum, on Sunday. It was a very cloudy day. I had my "big girl camera" with me, and took nearly 200 photos. Unfortunately, the combination of the cloudy day and the fact that I haven't used that camera in a while meant that I had a lot of trouble figuring out how to get the most out of the available light. 

These three photos were the stars of the day.


I find magnolias difficult to photograph because the trees are a big tangle of limbs, with a flower popped out at the end of each branch. There aren't a lot of leaves to speak of. Taking in the beauty of the arboretum in an overall photo wasn't in the cards for me.

But check out this texture close up!


The magnolias grow in a spectrum from white to pink to magenta to a dark purple. This was one of the brighter pops of color in the park.


I'll see what I can do in my photo editing program to highlight more of this jewel of a park. If you live in the Eugene area, I highly recommend you seek out Ruff Park this week while the magnolias are in full bloom. 

No comments: