Thursday, March 11, 2021

St. Patrick's Day Decor

Because we're descendants of non-Irish central-and-eastern-European ancestors, Dale and I don't really celebrate St. Patrick's Day much. We'll wear a touch of green on the 17th. Other than that, I decorate a little bit simply because I like to decorate and bring a bit whimsy and levity into our lives. The decorating doesn't reach much further than the porch and entryway.

On the porch, you can see my new Spring wreath in place on one side of the door and some shamrock gel window clings on the sidelight. 


On the other side, a Shamrock Welcome sign. My first version of this sign was so lightweight that it kept getting flipped around in the wind. So I re-made the ribbon-and-foam-and-paper sign by adding a second layer of shamrocks and letters to the back. I also weighted each shamrock with a penny sandwiched between the green foam shapes. Additionally, I outlined the letters in black ink so that each stands out against the green. Now when the wind blows, the sign welcomes our neighbors no matter how twisted the long ribbon becomes.



Just inside the front door on the left and lit by the door's sidelight, our six-foot giraffe, Morty, sports a fabulous striped necktie.


On the right side of the entry is the table with the rest of the decor.


Up top are small doo-dads, artfully arranged on a table scarf, sitting next to Grace the giraffe. I like how she's sporting my sunglasses, keeping them handy for me as I go out the door.



On the bottom, a seasonally appropriate heart scarf upon which sit the Kiss Me frames with the dancing leprechaun. 


It's these two kooky kids that give me the best giggles.


It's minor things like decorating for the season that move me forward and help to keep me from going bonkers in Covid season.

No comments: