Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Spring Wreath

Since I had a bit of creative mojo going yesterday with my #tryittoosday win, I jumped into my next project: a Spring wreath, suitable for St. Patrick's Day.


I used a wreath form from my stash. Considering the price tag and store name, the form must have been in my stash for about thirty years! It is nice to be using up old supplies.

On top of the form, I used some dark green leaves left over from another project to create a base. Next, I used floral pins to layer the white Tweedia flowers over the leaf base. I used three bunches of these small flowers from Dollar Tree. 

After that, I cut apart two stems of green Glitter Berries, also from Dollar Tree. I dispersed the berries around the outside perimeter of the wreath, along with some of the shiny green leaves that came on the same stems


I'd originally planned for this wreath to stay simple and wispy. But when I stood back and studied it, the wreath needed something. The dark leaf base makes the wreath visually heavy. So I dug through my ribbon stash to see if I had a green or yellow ribbon that would boost the color. Those colors didn't work, so I turned to this white ribbon to make a nice fluffy bow.


I found this spool of ribbon at a thrift store several months ago. It's very sheer, very lightweight, and very soft. It has a wire edge, but the wire is not at all stiff. That allows the bow to have lots of soft movement. I love the delicate floral and vine motif that runs the length of the ribbon. 

The finished wreath now hangs on our porch near the front door.


I'd give this wreath a solid "B" if I was grading it. For a Spring wreath, I think the color is off. The dark green base isn't doing it any favors, though I do like how they're covering the wreath form. I'm sorely tempted to take it apart, then put it back together with a hot glue gun instead of the floral pins that are currently holding all the elements in place. 

Mostly, I feel good that despite my recent emotional blues, I was able to eek out enough creativity to pull the wreath together. I could use several more five dollar wins like this.

No comments: