Friday, October 19, 2018

Fuzzy Pumpkin

I'm at it again, with another handmade pumpkin.


I found this pattern years ago as a freebie on the PatternBee website


I decided to make mine from craft felt in three colors. The main pumpkin is a bright orange. the tops are in rust and tan. I cut out six sections of the pumpkin and hand stitched them together with a running stitch.

Then I turned the pumpkin inside in, gathered up the bottom, and covered it with a small circle of orange felt, stitched in place.  (I neglected to take a photo of that step. Doh!)


Next I filled the pumpkin body with polyester fiberfill, overstuffing it a bit to make it as poofy as possible. I then gathered up the top of the pumpkin with long stitches.


I grabbed some jute twine for the stem. I made a short chain stitch with a piece of it, threaded the beginning tail through the chain to the other end, then inserted the tails through the top star and circle and glued the pieces to the top of the pumpkin over the hole.


Then I stitched all the pieces in place with a buttonhole stitch because it didn't look like the fabric glue was going to hole them very well.


The pumpkin is fairly pliable, so I can squish it and plump it into a pleasing shape. It now resides on the living room mantle with the rest of the pumpkin patch.

No comments: