Monday, October 15, 2018

Newsboy Cap

Last weekend I finished crocheting this newsboy cap.


I found the pattern several years ago online at favcrafts. I used some 4-ply cranberry yarn from my stash. The cap is stitched primarily with single crochet. The bill of the cap is in two layers. Sandwiched in between the layers is some plastic canvas to help the bill retain its shape.


When the cap is finished, it is embellished with a band and buttons, also stitched in single crochet. They are such nice details and give the hat an extra little panache.


The hat is stitched in the round, beginning with a circle at the crown and continuing as a spiral. One round is not ended before going to the next row. I used a stitch marker (for the first time) to mark where one row ends and where the increase (or decrease) of the next row begins. The original pattern was too small for my head, so I increased the circumference by two more rows, then added several rows to increase the depth of the hat. In other words, I have a big head and wanted the hat to fit well.


It does! I'm quite pleased with it. Because I have such thin hair, my head gets cold really easily as the weather dips below freezing in Autumn. I find this cap easy to wear inside the house. Since it doesn't cover my ears, it likely will not be the best hat for winter warmth.

I feel dashing!

No comments: