Friday, December 7, 2018

Yo-Yo Christmas Trees

The yo-yo trees are done!


The green tree is seven inches tall.


The yo-yos were made from three coordinating fabrics. I used a small flower-shaped red sequins for the center with a pearl-head pin to hold everything in place.


Originally, I'd planned to put some red yo-yos on the green tree. When I tried it, they looked too out of proportion. That's when I decided to use the red sequins to act as shiny ornaments.

So what to do with all the red yo-yos? Well, make a red tree with green ornaments! After all, if the White House can decorate with red trees, I guess I can have one, too. Unfortunately, I didn't have another styrofoam cone. What I had was the butt end of some cones left over from last year's gnome project. So I squished it into a cone shape as much as a could. Turns out to look more like a Christmas haystack than a tree.


The haystack is about four and a quarter inches tall. I used three different mostly-red fabrics for these yo-yos. I added a larger flower-shaped green sequins for the ornaments. The larger green sequins helps to balance out all that red.


I'm not sure I'll leave those snowflakes on top. I'm still trying to come up with some kind of pearl star instead.

Hmmm. I wonder how a strand of small pearls draped as garland would look. I'll play around some more and see if I like it.

No comments: