Thursday, January 3, 2019

Throwback Thursday - 2003 (Part 2)

This week's #throwbackthursday post begins in March 2003.


Pineapple Welcome

The "Welcome" part of this design was a freebie from Elizabeth's Designs. It's the word "welcome" and a string of flowers underneath it.

The Pineapple was designed by me!


I made this into a bellpull for my sister who had recently bought a home in Hawaii. The pineapple is a traditional sign of welcome, as well as Hawaii's state fruit.

As part of my design experiment, I dyed the fabric with coffee. That did well, but I was going for a mottled effect. So after the coffee dye, I made a weak solution of Rit dye, wadded the fabric up and soaked it for about 5 minutes. That gave me the variants of color I was seeking.

The design is stitched in white and ecru #8 perle coton. The ecru is used for shading on the pineapple as well as the doodads around the word "welcome."




The Inheritance

This lovely design by Vicki Hastings of The Cross-Eyed Cricket. I stitched this for my friend who is a wonderful quilter. I particularly love the contrast of the girl stitching her log cabin quilt done in grey scale against the pastel quilt in the background.




Baby Feet

I stitched this birth announcement for my new niece, Emily. This pattern was in a kit by Janlynn, and stitched up fairly quickly. Hard to believe she's 15 years old now!


No comments: