Saturday, January 12, 2019

Velvet and Jet

Time to share my first Lady of the Evening for 2019!

This red velvet Lady is one of my smallest. She's 6 inches from the top to the point, and 4-1/2 inches wide. She's not quite big enough for a cell phone. She has a zipper top, and several shapes of plastic black beads. Her handle is a long braided cord. She's beaded on the front, and plain velvet on the back.


What I appreciate most about my ladies are their details. If I choose to add a new lady to my collection, it's because she'll have an unusual shape or size or bead pattern or fringe. This Velvet and Jet Lady was one of my early acquisitions. I like her slender profile. Her fringe detail is made of bugle beads for the length, a teardrop bead for the tip, and seed bead for the stop.

All the seams are covered with solids row of seed beads.


The pattern of the body are rows of flower-like flourishes interspersed with a pattern of seed beads and spaced bugle beads.


Velvet and Jet went on a date one night. Unfortunately, the contents she carried were a bit too big. Her zipper popped. That's one of the bits of mending I'll need to tackle.


But she is one of my most proud purchases because she was so inexpensive: eighty cents!!! I do love finding bargains where my collection is concerned. I feel like I rescued her and gave her a home and family.


Nothing like personifying lifeless objects, right?

No comments: