Sunday, October 1, 2023

Attempting to Grow Food Again

I get so inspired by my neighbors and their beautiful gardens. I wanted to try again. After a hit and miss, the strawberries are finally doing well. The pumpkin vines have 14 babies growing on them. Even the Morning Glories are climbing and beginning to bloom. 

So I thought I'd grow a bush-style zucchini. It's ZUCCHINI. Anybody can grow zucchini, right?

My plant was big and green and happy in the sunlight.


It started putting out flowers. I saw some bees flying among the leaves doing their thing. Eventually, the fruit began to grow.


Beautiful! The perfect tender size. I gave this one to Dale to use in his stir-fry. He said it tasted better than the ones from the grocery store.


Then we got a second full-size zucchini. Excellent!

Then the zucchini plant said, "That's it. I'm done." And though it put out more flowers, it produced no more fruit.


I have a fond memory of my grandma making stuffed zucchini for me. I tried to replicate the memory. Beef, minced zucchini, minced onions, Italian spices, a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese on top.


It smelled great. It looked good. It tasted


yucky.

What a disappointment. I somehow got the spices all wrong. So I stuck it in the fridge for a couple days to "walk it off."

I ended up chopping it all up into smaller pieces and adding it to some spaghetti sauce. That was delicious. I had enough for three meals.

Moral of the story?

  1. Enjoy my neighbor's gardens. They are so good at what they do. Take photos of their bounty.

  2. Then retreat to my Studio to sew and cross-stitch and embroider and crochet and paint rocks and make wreaths and compose cards and all the artsy stuff that I'm good at. 
(But don't be surprised if I try again next year).

No comments: