Tuesday, October 31, 2023

This Halloween Rocks!

When Jodie spent time with me on her week off, we filled up one afternoon painting rocks for Halloween. I got the bug that day, so spent another couple days painting more -- including adding a layer of sparkle paint on top. They all glitter in the light now.


I was really looking forward to handing out candy this year. We have a neighborhood full of kids and full of people who decorate over-the-top for Halloween. I anticipated a lot of fun.

But Dale got sick. Covid. Our first bout of it. (I imagine I'll be coming down with it in a day or two. Poo!)

So instead of handing out treats, we came up with a plan to set up a table with candy and painted rocks. The kids can pick out their own. We can keep an eye on things through the window.


Yesterday I made the haunted house. I drew a design on a big cardboard box, cut it our with an Xacto blade, then painted it with some thinned-out black paint using a sponge brush. The entire process was much more successful than I anticipated when I began. I even taped some purple fairy lights to the back of the facade so that eerie light will shine through the windows once the sun goes down.

This afternoon I set it up, along with some signs and tombstones. I added candy. Then filled in the blank spots with the Halloween rocks. I also set out the "monster rocks" I painted about ::cough cough:: three years ago. There's enough there for 50 kids!


As I write this post, I hear the first of our Trick-or-Treaters on the porch.

"Mom! We get a candy AND a rock!"

Yes! Exactly the reaction I was hoping for.

No comments: