Tuesday, March 19, 2024

A New Favorite

 I adore geocaching.


On Sunday my eldest and I got together to share some lunch, shop for Easter gifts, and find a few geocaches. We're excellent company for each other.

We found four caches in their Springfield neighborhood. This final one, GeoGus' Luxury Travel Bug Hotel, was my favorite. It might now be my all-time favorite cache ever visited.

The cache itself wasn't at all hard to find. It shares a structure with a Little Free Library.  

This image is from the cache website

The right half of the structure holds books you can take to read or exchange for books you bring to it. The left half of the structure is the cache. It's locked, but there's a clue on the geocaching website that helps you know the secret to getting inside.

I have never seen a travel bug motel like this. It's decorated as an actual motel ... a dollhouse, so to speak. 

On the front door is the check-in desk, giving instructions for the game as well as the log book.


Inside is the two-level hotel decked out with furniture, fixtures, lockers and even pets. Each locker and each cup hook is a place to hang a travel bug. Travel bug trackables are physical geocache game pieces that move from geocache to geocache. 

Types of trackables include: geocoins, tags, t-shirts, and more. Daughter Jodie has both a travel bug sweatshirt, and a travel bug sticker on her car! Travel bugs like to travel the world, where folks like me write in their log to tell of the bug's adventures. I picked up a travel bug that started in Australia!


Here's the top floor. I left some swag in the box in exchange for the travel bug. There's a toilet in the cupboard (for privacy, of course).


On the main floor is the pool and locker room. You can see that there are plenty of travel bugs to choose from right now.


The cache owner put a lot of work and pride and ingenuity and imagination into this cache. I'm sure it takes a good bit of time and attention into keep it up. 

My photos don't do this place justice. I highly recommend looking through the cache's photo gallery to see the great details.

No comments: