Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Painted Rocks

When our granddaughters visited from Idaho last weekend, we made the most of a rainy day by painting some rocks. I've been wanting to try a technique using fingernail polish.

I filled a shallow dish with water, then dripped some fingernail polish on top. We learned that the thinner the polish, the better this technique works. The fingernail polish mostly rests on the surface of the water. Then you swirl the paint around to help get a marbled effect, and gently dip the rock face into the polish/water.

I should have tried this out before adding little ones to the mix, but we were winging it. There was a ... mishap. But their mom helped with the cleanup.

I forgot to take photos of their rocks. But I finished mine up this morning:



I received a big bag of mostly-used fingernail polish from our local Buy Nothing group which I've had for over a year. Using those supplies means that this is another step in my 24 Goals in 2024. Nice.

I had such a good time giving out painted rocks with the Halloween treats last year that I plan to make more rocks through the year and save them up for the trick-or-treaters.

No comments: