Saturday, March 16, 2024

Lucky Pillow

Time to post my latest holiday cross-stitch finish for St. Patty's Day. The pattern is called St. Patrick's Day Mini Cat Freebie from Lynn B of Happiness Is Cross Stitching Designs. I love her little cats and have quite a few of them in my stash. I used one of them for my kids' Valentine earlier this year.


I decided to use a blended needle of gold and green to stitch the word Lucky. It's just a little something different to keep me engaged.


I turned this design into a pillow cover. The darker green inside border was from a fat quarter in my fabric stash. I found the bright green clover fabric recently at a thrift store. How perfect! The back of the pillow cover is also made from the clover fabric.


I've given myself a new seasonal project. It started with Thankful Owls last Fall. I finished it as a pillow cover. I just stuffed it with some fiberfill for the month, then removed the filling when it was time to store the pillow cover.

But now that I have the idea to make pillow covers for every holiday or season, I decided it was time to make a pillow form that I can transfer from cover to cover as I decorate for the following holiday.

I used an old bed sheet to make a 12-inch square pillow. I sewed the first three sides of the pillowcase, flipped it inside-in, stuffed it with lots of fiberfill, then pinned the last edge shut.


Since this pillow form won't be seen, I didn't bother making the last seam invisible. I top-stitched it closed.


When I did the finishing work on the pillow cover, I added a zipper for ease of inserting the pillow form. Check this out. I had a perfectly matched nine inch nylon zipper in my stash. That's a K-Mart price sticker. K-Mart has been out of business since 2002. 

Thirty-three cents! This must be from the 1970s or so. This size and style of zipper costs $1.50 now.


Say hello to the newest addition to my holiday pillows. You're pretty sweet, Lucky Cat!


You're just the right size.



No comments: