Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Day 622: Classic Game Piece

I added this new photograph to Creative Journey
in my Photography section,
Life Car

This is another of the classic game pieces found while cleaning out a closet. It's one of the cars from the game of Life.

I used it as a model for another of my photo class assignments. This time we were challenged to use some indirect flash. So this little car was placed on a black background. I attached my macro lens to my camera so I could get a good close-up shot.

Then I took a piece of an aluminum can and concocted a flash deflector from it by bending it "just so" and attaching it over the flash part of my camera. The idea is that the flash will deflect off the aluminum can, and instead of flashing directly onto the object being photographed (thus, adding harsh light), the flash goes UP. You still get the effect of extra light from the flash, but it is less harsh.

Pretty neat trick and one that I'll practice using some more.

This whole notion of bouncing light around to suit my photographic purpose is interesting to me. It takes quite a bit of experimentation, though. I just need to stop fussing about failure, and try a bunch of ideas to see what works.

Then ... uh ... remember those so I can use them again.

No comments: