Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Fern Ridge Wildlife Area

Dale and I were feeling a little stir crazy over the weekend, so we decided to go for a drive. We had no particular destination in mind. I picked a direction ... how about southwest from home. As we drove along the country road, I watched the map. Something caught my eye. "Fern Ridge Wildlife Viewing" right next to a small lake.

That seemed like as good of a place to go as any, so I navigated Dale over the railroad and through the woods. We found the gravel road and took our chances.

At the end of the road, a parking lot and this sign.



When we got out of the car, I couldn't see the lake. So I started down a path. First I passed this flowering bush.



Then I climbed up a small ridge to this sign. This was a good omen.



On the other side of the ridge, the lake.



A short way down the trail was an observation deck. To the north, a large meadow. I paused to listen to the many songbirds. Turning around, I had this unobstructed view of the lake.

It's a very peaceful place.

click for larger image


While I was exploring, Dale checked out the Fern Ridge website. He learned there were many of these wildlife viewpoints to explore. All we need is to buy a parking pass. I think he and I may have a new favorite walking area.

As we drove back down the gravel road, we frightened a blue haron into flight. Wow. Just ... wow.



I love living in Oregon and am looking forward to the time Dale and I can explore the area more.

No comments: