Thursday, July 16, 2020

Throwback Thursday - 2007 Part 12

This week the Wayback Machine takes us to the end of October, 2007. I finish five small projects.


Bugs Bunny

Bugs is another quilt square for charity. It was part of a cartoon quilt. Usually the charity quilt squares have a white ground cloth, so it was fun to stitch with the bright crayon colors on the yellow for a change of pace. Bugs is dapper in his yellow bow tie.




Roly Poly Clown

I decided to finish my charity ornament and bookmark obligations early so I could end the year working on personal stitching again. This design is by Pamela Kellogg of Kitty and Me designs. She has a wonderful use of shading in her charts. This has about five shades of pink and four shades of green. The lovely shading makes the piece look 3-D.

In addition to DMC cotton floss, I used some DMC stranded metallics in the hair, hat pompom, hat fur trim and buttons for added pizzazz.




Spiral Bookmark

This spiral design was adapted from a freebie border pattern. I decided to use up some stray purple/white variegated floss on this. Unfortunately, as I started stitching it, I noticed that the white of the floss was disappearing into the white of the fabric. To remedy the situation, I decided to use a second variegated purple that went from a medium purple to dark purple for the second "strand" of the spiral. Then I used a plain purple for the center vertical line.

The chart did not call for any backstitching, but that white floss was still causing a visual problem. So I decided to backstitch around all parts of the spiral which allowed the design to "pop" off the ground cloth. I was much more satisfied with the result.

This bookmark was donated to the charity literacy project.




Train Bookmark

This cute train is the twelfth and final bookmark I stitched for the literacy program in 2007. The simple shapes and primary colors used are very effective. The design is by a designer named Crystal and was an online freebie.




Rudolph

With this stitched piece, I finished my twelfth ornament in 2007 for the charity project. Rudolph was a freebie chart from Blue Heron Designs. The pattern called for Gentle Art Sampler Threads. I used a couple of those (for the fur and antlers) so they have that nice overdyed look, but I used DMC for the eyes, nose and mouth.

I ended up using a funky olive green aida ground cloth because I had a scrap of it about the right size. After the stitching was done, the design didn't POP, so I backstitched all around the character and it looked a lot better. I imagine a different shade of green would have been more appealing.




In November and December of 2007, I completed only five more projects. I'll share all of them next time. 




No comments: