Thursday, July 2, 2020

Throwback Thursday - 2007 Part 10

These are the last three small projects I completed in September 2007


Wannabee Crab

This tiny quilt square is another donated for a charity quilt. Our group decided to make another quilt from Dale Burdett's 23 Wannabee Bears from the Seashore. As a change of pace, we chose a seafoam green aida instead of the usual white ground cloth.

I stitched a fish pattern from this book before. All the charts are adorable! The shading is wonderful and brings the pieces to life. I'm a big fan of this designer.




Thank You Cards

In August 2007, I received a very special gift of five books inscribed by the author Sid Fleischman. The personalized sentiments were lovely. I thought that such an outstanding gift deserved a special card of thanks made with care.

I decided to create these cards using embroidery on paper. I designed these cards as a combination of computer design and two motifs from Erica Fortgens book New Ideas with Embroidery on Paper.

I stitched the first card with a blue metallic floss. And though I liked the blue-on-blue effect and centered design, I decided to try something a little different with the second card.



On it, I stitched the words with green metallic floss. Then I added the two flower motifs to the left, stitched with two strands of cotton floss. The flowers add just a bit more sweetness to the design. I sent the second card to the author.




Tipsy Tree

This sweet ornament is the first I stitched from the 2007 edition of Just Cross Stitch Christmas Ornament Issue. I stitched with DMC stranded floss instead of the specialty threads called for. For the sparkly "lights," I used a white metallic floss. For the ornaments I used some red rocailles beads from my stash.

The chart called for a star charm to be stitched on top of the stitched star. That way the weight of the charm "pulls" the treetop over. I didn't have a charm, but the impression still works. This ornament was donated to a charity project.




I completed nine small projects in October, 2007. I'll share at least half of them next time.




No comments: