Thursday, July 23, 2020

Throwback Thursday - 2007 Part 13

This week the Wayback Machine takes us to November and December of 2007. I completed five projects in those two months.


Eeyore

I decided to stitch a second square for the charity cartoon quilt. This time I chose a chart that was originally in a latch hook kit that my daughter Julie made. I converted the yarn colors to floss and stitched it on bright yellow fabric.

I decided to add a vibrant border to make the design a bit bigger. I used three shades of orange and made each band of color one row wider than the previous band. Then I outlined it in black.

I'm pleased that my idea of converting a latch-hook chart into a cross-stitch chart worked so well.




More Preemie Hats

I completed my obligation to the charity hospital program with these six preemie hats. I crocheted one per month for 2007.  The hats are donated to neo-natal wards in various hospitals around the country.

These little hats are adorable and they stitch up in less than two hours. I enjoyed trying various colors of ribbon to finish them off.





.
.
Jodie's Spring Bands Bookmark

My daughter Jodie was intrigued by all the bookmarks I stitched and donated in 2007. She asked if I'd make something special for her. I offered to have her look through my patterns and pick one she liked.

Instead, she said, "Surprise me!"

I looked through my stash and found several charts I thought might suit her. I decided to stitch this sampler-like bookmark by Eileen Gurak of Handblessings. It was a bit of a leap in faith that Jodie would like the colors because the black and white graph did not come with an image of the finished product. The final result is quite pretty.

This was a freebie chart that I received as a thank you gift. It was part of a packet of charts given to me from a shop owner to whom I'd donated a dozen ornaments for a diabetes research fundraiser.

I adapted the pattern slightly from the original design. The fabric scrap I was using was neither long enough nor wide enough for the pattern. So I left out a few rows to shorten the bookmark, and pared down the rows I stitched by four stitches in width. It works well. It seems to me that if I'd stitched the entire pattern it would have been an awfully large bookmark.




Keep Looking Up Caterpillar

This little critter is a Precious Moments design by Gloria & Pat. I stitched it as part of a black & white quilt. These quilts were made for babies in Germany.

Why black and white? Apparently, the rods in the eye (the black-and-white receptors) develop first, and soon after come the cones (the receptors for colors). These black and white quilts are made for infants and designed specifically to stimulate a baby’s color development.

Pretty neat, huh?

I  adapted this pattern for the quilt, stitching only the black parts in the design. I left off the wording, the grass, and the butterfly. Then I added a border in two lines of half cross-stitch to create a chevron effect and help fill out the square.

This was the 12th quilt square of 2007. I am delighted that I reached my charity stitching goal for the year! Each month I completed one quilt square, one bookmark, one ornament and one crocheted hat.




Snowtunes Ornaments

I managed to finish two of my family's Christmas ornaments before the end of the year and mailed them off to my oldest daughter. These designs by The Design Connection were stitched on perforated plastic, so the finishing was easy. Just trim off the excess plastic and add a hanger.



These were my last projects of 2007. I didn't manage to finish the other family ornaments before Christmas, but I did get them done in January 2008. You can see them here:




This post concludes my #throwbackthursday project! Now all of the stitched items that I originally shared on my old CameoRoze's Stitcher's Studio website are now available to view on this blog. Transferring the images was a long project for me, years in the making.

I quite enjoy looking at all my stitched pieces again. I gave away as many -- or more -- than I kept. It's also encouraging to see my how photographic abilities improved over the years.







.
My itch for counted cross-stitch has returned. I completed a small piece last week that I'll share soon.

No comments: