Friday, July 31, 2020

Friends Forever

I had a hankering to do a bit of counted cross-stitch a couple weeks ago. My lifelong friend, Debi, was having a birthday, so I decided to stitch something up for her.



I dug into my stash to see what I could find. I remember buying the supplies for this chart and gathering them together in a kit. Then ... well, it got buried. The chart is Stitching Friends by designer Lizzie*Kate.



The design calls for some specialty fibers. These are beautiful overdyed colors from the Gentle Art Sampler Threads line. It's cotton floss that is hand dyed so there are subtle variations in shading throughout the skein. They come in beautiful colors with inventive names.



I used an evenweave ground fabric called Jobelan rather than typical aida cross-stitch fabric. I can tell that my eyesight is changing in my 60s. I needed a good amount of magnification to see the holes! The stitching went fairly quickly since the design is only about 4" x 4". The pink buttons used as embellishments were plucked from my stash.


I decided to finish the stitching as a basic padded ornament. I used this cotton fabric as the back. 


After adhering the ornament's front to the back, I used this gold cord to cover the edge and form the hanging loop.



Gosh, it was fun to stitch again! I'm so pleased with the result. I was heartened to hear my friend likes it too.



A nice bonus is that by using a kit I had on hand, completing this design is also a part of one of my 20 Goals in 2020

No comments: