Monday, May 25, 2020

Dale's Birthday Card

We celebrated Dale's birthday a couple weeks ago. I made this card to accompany his gift. I was inspired by a card I saw on Pinterest.



I tried a new technique with this card. Using a die, I cut the brown paper version of "happy birthday." When I placed it on the wood grain paper, it didn't stand out very well. So I cut another "happy birthday" greeting from a dark brown cardstock. Then I layered the two together to give a drop shadow effect. I'm very pleased with the outcome and will be sure to use it again.


These delicate die cut letters are rather fussy to deal with. In the past, I tried adhering them with liquid glue. That was semi successful. But this time I turned the greetings into stickers using a
Mini Xyron Create-A-Sticker machine. That worked quite well! The delicate letters are still fussy, but the process was much more successful than the glue.


For the floor nails, I used some short brads. I simply punched holes in the floorboards, and opened the brad on the inside of the card. With the twine, I pulled the three plies apart, then wrapped them around the front of the card, tying them in a knot.


On the inside of the card, I covered the brad and twine mechanics with the same dark paper used at the drop shadow. 

I tried the three tier paper effect on the sentiment side of the card using the front and back of the dark brown paper, and another piece of the brown paper bag. It's more or less successful. Not sure I like it. I ended up writing my sentiment on a separate paper and adhering it on top of these three. That idea needs some finessing.


On the back of the card, I signed it as usual.


And on the envelope, I added a foam heart sticker in the bottom right corner. Don't tell anyone, but there is a bad ink blob under that sticker that needed to be covered up! I'd already printed the envelope and didn't want to repeat the process. Mistakes give an opportunity to add another creative touch. 


Lemons into lemonade.



---

Inspired by Irma Kremer

No comments: