Thursday, May 14, 2020

Throwback Thursday - 2007 Part 03

I was a busy stitcher in March of 2007, completing nine projects. Here are the first five:


Furr-Ever Friends Giraffe

This was a stitch-along project for my charity stitching group. Participants chose a chart from the Furr-Ever Friends leaflet by Gloria & Pat.

I already had the giraffe in my stash so I offered to stitch it. I was able to complete a chart I'd been hoping to stitch for quite some time. As a bonus, I got to take part in a charity quilt project. 




Skating Reindeer 2

I got such enjoyment from stitching a skating reindeer ornament in January that I decided to stitch another in March 2007. I began stitching this while on a trip with my daughter Jodie in Boise, Idaho. She was in a math competition. This reindeer, designed by Kate Mawdsley, was donated to charity.



Skating Reindeer 3

Looks like I was on a skating reindeer roll. This reindeer from a World of Cross Stitching magazine is adorable for being so chubby and shaggy. This was another ornament donated to charity.



Wedding Card

This is an example of a new-to-me technique I wanted to try in 2007, embroidery on paper. It's one of projects I had in my stash, waiting for me to give it some attention. Embroidery on paper (cardstock, really) ended up becoming one of my favorite kinds of needlework.

This card was from a kit. The design was pre-printed on the cards. Using a special pricking tool and foam pad, I made holes in the card stock. The embroidery is done from hole to hole to create the design, much like string art.


This second image shows some of the detail of the design. Here you can easily see the small holes I created in the card stock.

It was nice to learn the technique using a kit by Erica Fortgens. Since then, I used a book of embroidery on paper designs to make other cards. I've also found free patterns on the internet. 

If you don't have the pricking tool and foam, you can also use a needle to prick the holes and a stack of corrugated cardboard to protect your work surface.




Tulip Card

Here's another card from the same embroidery on paper kit as the Wedding Card. It uses a similar flower motif in the design.

The kit I bought was an All Occasion Card Kit with five different designs:
* Wedding
* 25th Anniversary
* Baby
* New Home (or Spring)
* Thinking of You (this tulip design)




For the remainder of March, I continued with my exploration of embroidery on paper. I'll share those projects on my next edition of


No comments: