Friday, September 9, 2022

Sunflower Wreath: Part One

The "Part One" in the title is aspirational.

I've had this menagerie of crafty items on my work table for an entire month now. What's more demoralizing is that I bought most of the supplies last year so that I could make a new Autumn wreath for our front porch. The pieces landed in a project bin last year and have been gathering dust. Literally. 

I pulled the bin out in August, determined to make the wreath this year. I got this far. Now I'm stuck.

I MISS MY CREATIVE ENERGY!!!



Now that I have that off my chest, I'll stop beating myself up. I'm hoping that by making this blog post, it will encourage me to complete my wreath so I can decorate our front porch and share the results here.

So! 

I started with a straw wreath I had on hand after I took the  previous Fall wreath apart. It's big - about 18 inches in diameter. Straw wreaths are notorious for being messy. This old one has seen better days, so it's shedding like crazy every time I touch it.


I'd planned to wrap the wreath in yarn, so there is no reason to keep any of the straw showing for aesthetic reasons. I decided to wrap some plastic around the straw to keep things more tidy. I cut open some old plastic bags left over from mail order packages. I wrapped them rather haphazardly and held the plastic in place with tape.


This is the pretty yarn I'm using. It was this yarn that inspired the wreath in the first place. The colors are yummy and rich. I even found matching ribbon in the same tones.


I'm making this up as I'm going along. I started by wrapping the yarn around the wreath form in sections. The wrapping doesn't need to be perfect because I hope to cover about a third of it in florals. Plus, from a distance no one will see any of the plastic showing through.


I've wrapped all six colors around the wreath in sections that are about 4 inches long. I've covered half the wreath form so far. I'll repeat the wrapping on the second half of the wreath. This way, the wreath will have two sections of each yarn color.


And then ... I stopped. I've been fighting my workspace ever since. This wreath-to-be is taking up my entire worktable and whispering nasty things at me every time I walk into the Studio. 

My hope is that I'll find the oomph to complete this project ... soon. Can you cheer me on?



#flowersforfriday

No comments: