Friday, September 16, 2022

Sunflower Wreath: Part Two

'Tis done!


My calendar was completely empty today, so I gave myself the time to knuckle down and finish my Sunflower Wreath. Turns out that the first thing I needed to do was clear some space in my brain, then clear some space in my studio. Once I'd cleared the mental and physical clutter and things calmed down, I started crafting.

I chose some podcasts to have playing in the background. That kept me motivated. Then I set about winding the yarn around the wreath form. Wrapping the second half of the wreath form took nearly two hours. (No wonder I got bogged down earlier!) 

The wreath is a little wonky -- not a precise circle. That's OK. I worked with what I had.


Next I snipped the individual flowers off the floral sprays and did some dry fitting to get a general feel for how I wanted to lay out the flowers. I used floral pins to attach the stems to the straw wreath form. My guess was that hot glue wouldn't hold this much weight to the yarn.


I originally pictured the flowers at the bottom of the wreath. But when I dry fit it on the wall, the wreath didn't look quite right. The flowers weren't pointing in a pleasing direction. So I turned the wreath this way and that, then decided to put the flowers in the top right quadrant.

Once that decision was made, I tried attaching the ribbons three or four ways. I wanted to use all four colors. I eventually attached them to the wreath beneath the center grouping of flowers as streamers. This way they can blow in the breeze.


I auditioned the wreath in our home's entryway, but it was too big. Because it has so much yarn, I wanted it to be an inside wreath. I didn't think the yarn would hold up to the outside elements. Unfortunately, it just didn't fit entryway space. 


So I moved it outside, and the size works beautifully. 


Now it's starting to feel like Autumn around here!

No comments: