Monday, October 1, 2007

Day 458: A Calming Effect

I added this new photograph to Creative Journey in my Photography section, Manmade Waterfall


A friend of mine recently sent me a story of a walk along a mostly-dry riverbed. The detail was exquisite. I could picture the low water level, the egrets gliding in for a landing, the crunch of gravel underfoot, and the small cascades of water that splashed into foot-deep pools. And mere yards away, a busy freeway with cars buzzing along at 70 miles per hour just beyond a concrete barrier. For my friend, a short respite in the midst of city life and personal crisis.

Where I live, the rivers run deep and way more wild. The beds are not lined in concrete. And the waterfalls are powerful enough to generate light for the entire city.

But we also have land developers that come along, tap the vast resource of the underground lake, and create mini vignettes of peaceful tranquility in the midst of the open prairie. That's where I spotted this bit of harmony -- in a new housing development taking shape in one of the oldest towns in the area.

Still, taking time to stop the car, get out, and sit for a moment beside the moss covered rock was pretty nice. So I took this photo to share a bit of my world with my friend. Sometimes, the Creative Journey requests that I simply stop and listen.

No comments: