Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Day 459: Falls Park

I added this new photograph to Creative Journey in my Photography section,
Spanning the Spokane

After posting the image of the Manmade Waterfall yesterday, I had a hankerin' to head off to Falls Park and see our natural waterfall today.

Of course, 'natural' is an overstatement now, since the water of the falls has been diverted by the power company to generate hydroelectric power. The falls have been dammed and floodgates installed. Since it's early fall and last year's snow melt is gone, the gates are closed. The falls are barely falling!

But if you stand with your back to the falls, and look north further down the river, you can see this lovely graceful bridge. This is the only access from the mainland to the island on the Spokane River which houses the powerhouse.

I've never seen the river below the falls this quiet before. Usually, the Spokane is mighty here, rushing down the gorge after tumbling over the falls.

On this overcast Fall day, my time alone by the calm river gave me a new perspective.

No comments: